Windows 10 and jOrgan
John Beach
2015-08-06 01:46:48 UTC
Just curious, but are jOrgan/Java working in Windows 10 for anyone in the forum, yet? Are there any particular issues that
need to be dealt with?

John Beach
g***@gmail.com

Graham Goode
2015-08-06 07:36:27 UTC
There are a couple of things that you need to be aware of when
upgrading to Windows 10. The first is that your privacy settings are
wide open by default. Microsoft will be able to monitor almost
everything that is installed on your Win10 PC. Go to Settings -
Privacy to turn most of these off (see
http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229).

The second is that by default Windows 10 is setup to act as an
intermediate server for patches and updates within the Windows
Internet system, so your bandwidth usage will go up unless you turn
this off. See the Windows Update section of the linked article above.

Other than that - I have everything working very well on Windows 10.
It boots faster than Win 8/8.1, and seems to have less clutter
running, so usage performance is better.

Audio Drivers seem to be the biggest hurdle that people have
encountered, so if you're using older soundcards you may have an
issue.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

Roy Radford

John Beach
2015-08-06 10:18:12 UTC
The reason I asked is because, in jOrgan, I do not have any sound device Output options listed, nor do I have the direct sound or portaudio listed in the drop down window in the Soundfont properties. I have a Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium sound card and the Windows 10 driver for that will not be available until September. The onboard Realtek soundcard works fine, however, it does not show as an option in the Soundfont properties. Not sure what the reason for this is. This is my work PC, NOT my organ PC
which is running Windows 8.1 and works fine. I have not intention of upgrading that yet, since it also has an X-Fi soundcard in it.
I was hoping that Bernd’s Fluidsynth portaudio (which I copied directly into the default folder of Fluidsynth) would work. All I show is Sven’s directsound in the Configuration window of jOrgan. However, there is no directsound option in the dropdown window of the Soundfont properties.

Should I try the NON-BETA version of jOrgan?

John Beach

Graham Goode
2015-08-06 10:30:05 UTC
Hi John,

I've been only using jOrgan 64-bit with Windows 10 (and the associated
JAVA 64-bit and Fluidsynth PortAudio backends). I know that my ASUS
Xonar soundcard has 64-bit drivers, so the whole chain works.

You're not the only person to report that a Windows 10 upgrade caused
a previously working jOrgan Fluidsyth-Dsound configuration to not
work, also with the Fluidsynth driver options not showing in the drop
down. I'm wondering if this is due to a 32-bit/64-bit mis-match, with
Windows 10 defaulting to a different -bit version of JAVA?

What bit-ness are other people using with Windows 10?

GG

John Beach
2015-08-06 11:09:45 UTC
Graham, yes, I upgraded from Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 10 64-bit. I will
check out the Java upgrade and see if that makes a difference.
By the way, I wanted to tell you that your jOrgan Linux Puppy 5.3 download
and installation have gone perfectly on two older
PCs I have. There is much to recommend Linux, although transitioning from
Windows to Linux is a bit daunting, given the
differences in terminologies used. If I were 40 years younger, I would
learn Linux. As it is, I find it difficult to grasp the basic
folder/file system in Linux and it prevents me from appreciating it more.
It's the "you can't teach and old dog new tricks," syndrome, the truth of
which solidifies with the inertial intransigence of geriatric lethargy. At
least, I don't suffer from a nagging wife......

Roy Radford
2015-08-06 11:34:47 UTC
Hi, John,

I use, and try to plug, Linux Mint but I would agree it's
not as user-friendly as Windows, you need to be a bit of a computer nerd,
though it IS getting better, thanks largely to companies like Canonical,
the Ubuntu people.

That said, I would have to admit that the problem you have with Windows
10 probably wouldn't be any better under Linux, the issue of hardware
drivers, particularly those for video and sound cards, is just as big a
PITA in Linux.

That is partly due to some manufacturer's reluctance to release
proprietary details the Linux community need to write decent drivers.

Have fun,

Roy.
John Beach
2015-08-06 13:25:41 UTC
Roy, I was just thinking that.....they keep it a secret until...........SURPRISE! You’re on notice.....and everybody scrambles to update
all the hardware drivers because of the incompatibility issues with the new OSes.

It does give new meaning to “Have Fun.....”

John Beach
2015-08-06 13:22:35 UTC
I installed Windows 10 64-bit, upgrading from Windows 7, using the Media Creation Tool, but upgrading/installing directly from the download. That is, I did not create an ISO DVD when doing the upgrade. The installation works well and I was issued
a new product key for the Windows 10 installation. In the past, a single copy (CD or DVD) of Windows Operating System disks
had a product key for that specific disk which was necessary to input on installing or re-installing the operating system.
That was the assurance that a specific copy of the OS was genuine, had been purchased, and not pirated.
I read that the product key activation system has been changed and that product keys are issued relative to the “hardware hash” of a particular PC and not the specific instance or copy of the ISO of the Operating System. This is hard to understand, since it would mean that any copy of the OS ISO is valid and will install, but that the product key for such installation will only work on the PC with the “hardware hash” that has been previously recorded by Microsoft.
Do I need to make an exact copy of the Windows 10 Home edition that IS installed on my PC with the Product Key that was issued with the installation, or, if and when, I might have to reinstall Windows 10, will any copy of the ISO DVD work, so long as I have a valid product key for the PC with the “hardware hash” with Windows 10 64-bit Home , of which Microsoft has a record?
Is a version product key (Windows 10 64-bit Home) specific to the PC or the specific copy of the ISO disk from which installation is performed? The latter seems more plausible and accountable than the former.
I want to make sure that, if necessary, I will be able to reinstall Windows 10 64-bit Home.
With Windows 7, purchased in stores, there were two disks, one for 32-bit and another for 64-bit. 64-bit is replacing 32-bit
because of the increased memory usage. It is improbable that a return to 32-bit would be necessary, so a single copy of the
64-bit OS ISO is the only option.
Hope this is relatively clear and comprehensible.
Thanks.
John Beach
John Beach
2015-08-06 22:13:11 UTC
Just so everyone will know, when or if you use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade to Windows 10, the Tool upgrades you PC, but also places the Windows Image in the Documents folder with the Windows 10 product key. You can burn your DVD from that
image.

Sometimes, I feel like an idiot, and it is good to know that I have a legitimate, geriatric excuse for my appalling lack of common sense.

John Beach
Roy Radford