[jOrgan-user] [ANN] Fluidsynth 1.1.4 with PortAudio WASAPI now available for testing
Graham Goode
2011-08-02 05:25:53 UTC
Hi Guys,

There is one more audio layer available for Windows users, but only
for Vista and Win7. It can operate in shared mode, like the dsound
driver, and therefore supports multiple fluidsynth elements.

I have just added the following details to the WIKI page
(https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jorgan/index.php?title=Instructions_on_using_the_PortAudio_driver_in_the_Fluidsynth_Extension)

WASAPI (Windows Audio Session API) is an updated Microsoft Windows low
latency audio layer available in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

* Download: http://cid-c6dd879f60fadf98.office.live.com/self.aspx/jOrgan%20Fluidsynth/fluidsynth-1.1.4-wasapi.zip
* Decompress the ZIP file into your 32-bit jOrgan folder, and either
allow the old libfluidsynth.dll to be overwritten or rename it in
order to keep a copy of it.
* Start jOrgan
* Load a fluidsynth based disposition
* Enter Construct Organ mode
* Locate the Fluidsynth Sound element(s)
* In the Fluidsynth element's audio driver select ''portaudio''
* Then in the audio device property select your WASAPI device
* Exit Construct Organ mode
* Test the organ

Notes:
WASAPI can also operate in 'shared' mode, like the dsound driver, so
multiple fluidysnth elements are supported.

If you are running jOrgan 3.13 or jOrgan 3.14 in 32-bit release on
Windows Vista or Windows 7 computers, please give this driver a test
and report your results back to me.

Kind regards,
GrahamG
Panos Ghekas
2011-08-03 14:56:30 UTC
Hi Graham !

BIG BIG THANKS !!!

All three work great here. Fine delicate job you did !

WASAPI is the answer for multi FS sf2 banks and ranks he he, latency is very low.

Care must taken on sample rates : FS must be the same with our native soundcard's settings.
Here is 24/48000, so I set FS at 48000 and the red X disappears.

Beautiful.

We got much power in our hands now....

Best
Panos

________________________________
Áðï: Graham Goode <***@gmail.com>
Ðñïò: jorgan-user <jorgan-***@lists.sourceforge.net>
ÓôÜëèçêå: 8:25 ð.ì. Ôñßôç, 2 Áõãïýóôïõ 2011
Èåìá: [jOrgan-user] [ANN] Fluidsynth 1.1.4 with PortAudio WASAPI now available for testing

GrahamG
Rick (greenfox)
2011-08-03 21:46:49 UTC
Has anyone reported "no sound" with the new jOrgan V3.14 running on
Windows 7?

I have a "Christie" user who has just upgraded to the new default
version. He says he has no sound, can see the new keyboards playing though.

Will the previous "default" and "dsound" settings work with Windows 7?
Is it possibly something to do with buffer settings?
I have suggested he try the new WASAPI patch.

Interested to hear other feedback.

Regards
Rick
Post by Panos Ghekas
Hi Graham !
BIG BIG THANKS !!!
All three work great here. Fine delicate job you did !
WASAPI is the answer for multi FS sf2 banks and ranks he he, latency is very low.
Care must taken on sample rates : FS must be the same with our native soundcard's settings.
Here is 24/48000, so I set FS at 48000 and the red X disappears.
Beautiful.
We got much power in our hands now....
Best
Panos
*Στάλθηκε:* 8:25 π.μ. Τρίτη, 2 Αυγούστου 2011
*Θεμα:* [jOrgan-user] [ANN] Fluidsynth 1.1.4 with PortAudio WASAPI now
GrahamG
Graham Goode
2011-08-04 06:41:44 UTC
Hi Rick,

The first question to ask is which versions of Windows and Java are
installed (32-bit or 64-bit) as I have had this issue on my old work
laptop with Windows 7 64-bit. I had both the 32-bit and 64-bit
versions of Java installed, so solved the issue by using batch files
(.bat) to script which version of Java was to be used with the
jorgan.jar file.

Ask the user to send the contents of the View -> Debug message from
the top menu.

Kind regards,
GrahamG
Rick (greenfox)
2011-08-04 23:13:45 UTC
Thank you Graham

The computer is a Windows 7 64 bit computer, however he has confirmed
from the Java web site test that it is the x86 32 bit Java that is
running. This did uncover that he is running Java SE 6, Version 24. I
have suggested he upgrade to version 26. We will see how that goes and
report back.

Regards
Rick
DellAnderson
2011-08-05 02:47:42 UTC
... This did uncover that he is running Java SE 6, Version 24. I
have suggested he upgrade to version 26. We will see how that goes and
report back....
This Java SE versioning is getting out of hand! I that I had heard
somewhere that Java 7 was out, then went to Java.com and found 6 v26 was
latest...except no, 7 is out, but only from Oracle, and only if you search
for it (by looking for the JDK for example):
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Perhaps they intend developers to migrate first, then ease the rest of us
into it?

Panos Ghekas
2011-08-05 18:41:24 UTC
Hi Graham, Rick

No problems here and no batch files either. 32 & 64 bit on the same  computer (my known Acer 64bit) win7
Both javas and both jOrgans.

How I do things (after mt older temporary problems...)

Install java 64bit, then th 32 one.
Uninstall any previous jOrgan version - That's why is usefull to have all dispositions in Documents...
Install 3.14 x64 first as main jOrgan version ie create desktop icon and YES associate disposition files, also for start manu the name is jOrgan. In Program Files.
Then I install my first jOrgan x86 as jOrgan 3.14 Asio in Program Files (x86) NO DESKTOP ICON, NO ASSOSIATION and for start menu as jOrgan 314 Asio.
Apply Graham's lib files here (1.1.4 Asio)

Then I install my second jOrgan x86 as jOrgan 314 WASAPI in Program Files (x86). Here too no desktop icon and assosiation and for start menu as jOrgan 314 Wasapi. Apply Graham's lib file patches here too (1.1.4 Wasapi)

No need for WDMKS version here as I got win 7 with WASAPI.

Then I create two desktop shortcuts for those two 32bit jOrgans from their Java executable files and named jOrgan-Asio and jOrgan-Wasapi respectively

Now I have THREE jOrgan Vesrions here workin' and no batch files.
x64 is my main for Midi controlling my other apps and testing dispositions with direct sound and the other two 32bit ones are divided for playing single FS dipsos (Asio) and multi ones with Wasapi.

Hope that helps a bit...
Best
Panos

________________________________
Áðï: Rick (greenfox) <***@gmail.com>
Ðñïò: jorgan-***@lists.sourceforge.net
ÓôÜëèçêå: 12:46 ð.ì. ÐÝìðôç, 4 Áõãïýóôïõ 2011
Èåìá: Re: [jOrgan-user] Ó÷åô: [ANN] Fluidsynth 1.1.4 with PortAudio WASAPI now available for testing

GrahamG
Rick (greenfox)
2011-08-08 00:02:31 UTC
Thanks Panos

A very comprehensive group of jOrgan installations carefully managed.

Is there any performance advantage with the 64 bit installation?
Is your main reason for the 64 bit version to give compatibility to link
with other apps?

It seems to me that users are getting a fresh batch of 32 bit / 64 bit
issues since jOrgan version changes past V3.13. Was there some change
that makes this more touchy now, or is it just coming to my attention now?

What can we suggest as the easiest install for inexperienced users?
How can we be sure they have the correct bit version of Java, and that
they put the installation of jOrgan in the correct place (ie Program
Files x86, if 32 bit version)?

Regards
Rick
Panos
DellAnderson
2011-08-08 02:16:08 UTC
Post by Rick (greenfox)
What can we suggest as the easiest install for inexperienced users?
How can we be sure they have the correct bit version of Java, and that
they put the installation of jOrgan in the correct place (ie Program
Files x86, if 32 bit version)?
These are the questions that hunger for an answer.

Might I add one more? How can we create jOrgan in such a way that it is
robust enough to survive the (nearly monthly) Java updates? Or create
multiple versions like Panos has so we can continue using our multipurpose
calculating machines (aka computers) for other Java apps as well? Imagine
the challenge of keeping even half a dozen Java apps synchronous under this
system.

Panos Ghekas
2011-08-09 19:48:18 UTC
Hi Rick,
Thanks for reply. Indeed very interesting questions.

I try to keep things as simple as possible. For example, 64bit system - 64bit apps.
In C:\Program Files the 64bit programs
In C:\Program Files (x86) the 32bit ones.
I never mix up things.

I managed to controll many apps with jOrgan multiple versions here, but trying not to mix (Bridge) 32 with 64 ones. The only exception is REAPER where jBridge is included and all run fine.
See also my ReaRoute Asio post here for more adventures.... :-)

So for an inexperienced begginer in win7 64bit I would advise like this :

1. Install 64bit Java latest always.
2. Install 64bit jOrgan latest always.
3. Install LoopMidi (has both 32 & 64 bit dlls)
4. Stay with direct sound and wait for future Wasapi dll from GrahamG.

Then after opening the computer , open first LoopMidi and close it from red X (so it will stay on as long as we need. Can be closed with task manager).
Open jOrgan, load dispo and play. Or create the controlling disposition of the desired sampler/virtual instrument.
Later, when WASAPI 64bit dll be available, apply patch and enjoy low latency.

For 32bit systems we'll need 32bit java, jOrgan and MidiYoke (LoopMidi too) and WDMKS and WASAPI dlls.
Here the difference is that only with WASAPI we can have multi FS instances workin with low latency.

Another option for win7 64bit systems is to install Both Javas and then 32bit jOrgan only with WASAPI dll.
This way we can play all available dispositions with low latency and clear sound.
ATTENTION HERE : Do not create desktop icon of this 32bit jOrgan in 64bit system, Instead create one from the jar executable file. Also when selecting WASAPI driver carefull to have the same sample rate of Fluidsynth and native soundcard (thanks Erik !).

Since we have installed both javas we don't get problems with other apps in 64bit which will need it.
32bit jOrgan will go for the 32bit one.

Hope I added some more.... discussion must continue on the matter. I look forward if Sven with Graham manage to include WDMKS & WASAPI into jOrgan installer !
For me, as an Asio fan, will be unofficial..... :-)

Best
Panos

________________________________
Áðï: Rick (greenfox) <***@gmail.com>
Ðñïò: jorgan-***@lists.sourceforge.net
ÓôÜëèçêå: 3:02 ð.ì. ÄåõôÝñá, 8 Áõãïýóôïõ 2011
Èåìá: Re: [jOrgan-user] Ó÷åô: Ó÷åô: [ANN] Fluidsynth 1.1.4 with PortAudio WASAPI now available for testing

Panos
Rick (greenfox)
2011-08-06 12:11:02 UTC
Is there a chance all/or some these Fluidsynth audio output options
could be included in the default Fluidsynth extension so selections
could simply be made from the properties and not require downloading
patches and file swapping to get them to work?

Was there a licensing issue with ASIO?
Does this apply to WASAPI and/or WDMKS?

It seems to me they all individually do what they are intended to do
without errors. Can they pass from trial to inclusion in the jOrgan
distribution (or a beta version)?

Regards
Rick
GrahamG
Bernd Casper
2011-08-06 13:24:56 UTC
Panos Ghekas
2011-08-06 16:26:26 UTC
Graham Goode
2011-08-06 17:29:28 UTC
The WASAPI & WDMKS PortAudio drivers could be distributed with jOrgan as
there source code can be distributed. ASIO cannot, as that source code
cannot be distributed by anyone other than Steinberg. It is all free,
Hi Bernd, Rick,
I'm following your thoughts too. It would be best if all those extensions
were included with every jOrgan version and not being patches.
I think there's some issues with Steinberg for the Asio thing... some fees
to be payed (?)
But for native windows7 Wasapi and/or WDMKS... must be free as they come
with Microsoft's software in any PC.... no? Dunno maybe some contact with
Microsoft must be done about.
Best
Panos
________________________________
ΣτάλΞηκε: 4:24 ÎŒ.ÎŒ. Σάββατο, 6 Αυγούστου 2011
ΘεΌα: Re: [jOrgan-user] [ANN] Fluidsynth 1.1.4 with PortAudio WASAPI
nowavailable for testing
seconded here, strongly. Is this possible? Makes this sense?
Bernd.
(
)
Post by Graham Goode
[...]
Die Virendatenbank sind veraltet.
Von AVG uberpruft - www.avg.de
Version: 9.0.872 / Virendatenbank: 271.1.1/2730 - Ausgabedatum: 03/08/10
09:34:00
Sven Meier
2011-08-06 20:27:56 UTC
Hi all,

as soon as we're able to build Fluidsynth reliably for 32bit and 64bit
with any open driver, we can include it in the standard jOrgan installer.

@Graham
I didn't follow the recent announcements, do you have WASAPI and WDMKS
ready for 32bit and 64bit? I can assign you commit rights for jOrgan's
repository, so you could check in the libraries.

Best regards
Sven
Post by Graham Goode
[...]
Von AVG uberpruft - www.avg.de <http://www.avg.de>
03/08/10 09:34:00
Graham Goode
2011-08-06 20:33:33 UTC
Hi Sven,

Only 32-bit is working fine... 64-bit PortAudio is still failing for me :(

There should be a new snapshot release in a few weeks and I will try again then.

GrahamG
Sven
Rick (greenfox)
2011-08-07 23:33:43 UTC
Thanks Graham

Is WDMKS needed? Who would lobby for this now that WASAPI is running
and offers multiple elements?

I know there are fans of ASIO but due to the licensing it will always
need to be an unofficial patch.

I vote to keep the "dsound" option for Win XP users, and offer "WASAPI"
for Win Vista and Win 7 users.

Regards
Rick
free,
Graham Goode
2011-08-08 05:56:37 UTC
Hi Rick,

I would certainly vote for WDMKS or those running Windows XP....

Currently all a mute point until we get the drivers working on 64-bit though.
Rick
Bernd Casper
2011-08-08 09:56:22 UTC
orgel jeux
2011-08-08 10:30:21 UTC
Bernd Casper
2011-08-08 11:44:51 UTC
orgel jeux
2011-08-08 12:34:37 UTC
BCA
2011-08-14 11:35:28 UTC
Hi GrahamG,

I've tested PA WASAPI 32-bit on Windows 7 Home Premium.

I had to change sample frequency from 44.100 to 48.000 Hz, for correct
function with the built-in Realtek HD sound engine.

The jOrgan driver works correctly with one and multiple instances of
FluidSynth.
I've experimented that it works good with 2 buffers/1024 buffer size. Other
settings, like 8-10/256 or 6/384 caused crackled sound.

Strange it is, on my (average) test notebook system I've experienced no
improvements in latency or sound quality, compared with using Dsound on the
same system. WDMKS and ASIO on XP still improve latency and sound to
remarkable crisp quality.

Reading other posts, it appears that 64-bit gives an noticeable improvement
here.

Regards
Bernd.

Graham Goode
2011-08-14 11:49:14 UTC
Hi Bernd,

Thanks for the feedback.
Bernd Casper
2011-08-14 16:18:48 UTC
Graham Goode
2011-08-14 16:30:05 UTC
Hi Bernd,

Yes, it is still possible to use WDMKS with Win 7.

WASAPI is a completely new Audio API that came with Vista (and now
Win7 and probably Win8) that allows a whole host of new options that
Games probably use more of. Fluidsynth will just use it as an audio
output. I will find out from the PortAudio developers how to enable
and test the 'exclusive' mode as well then.

Kind regards,
GrahamG
Post by BCA
Hi GrahamG,
as I don't have the full overview about all functionality, is it still
possible to use WDMKS with Windows 7? Or is the "exclusive" mode the
replacement for WDMKS, in Win7?
In the latter case, I'd still vote for a futural test WASAPI dll in
exclusive mode, if latency can be improved then intensely. Smaller models
like my SVA or Pastor Stratmans new models run like a dream, with one
instance - excellent low-latency and best sound quality available.
The WDMKS model driver is still the jewel of your driver collection, in my
eyes.
What do you think?
Regards
Bernd.
PS. Yes, I still wait for an JfW-FS attempt. Since Win7/Creative don't offer
drivers for older HQ soundcard models, I still won't change for Win7.